Our car is one of the biggest purchases and investment in our life and like your engine and transmission it needs to be maintained and taken care of for its beauty to last through weathered times.
Here are some things you can do to improve & prolong your vehicles appearance & luster:
1) Clean and wash your car at least once a month: clean and wash the exterior panels, wheels and wax your car. Waxing your car helps protect your paint from harsh weather conditions and acidic rain. Cleaning your wheels of brake dust and road debris will make your car looking new. (Ladies here’ your chance to cash in your Honey-Do Points!)
2) Remove any bird droppings or tree sap that fall onto your car paint. Dropping and tree saps are acidic and can eat into your paint finish causing permanent blemishes on your paint. You can use denatured or rubbing alcohol, or specially formulated products such as Goof Off or similar citrus/light solvent cleaners-immediately followed by a coat of wax.
3) Waxing your headlight lenses will prolong your lamp lenses from fading
4) Got Chrome? Chrome wheels, bumpers and trims can be difficult to clean and polish, you can use #000 or #0000 wool pad to clean and shine your chrome wheels, trims and bumpers with ease. You will be surprised with the results and steel wool works great for cleaning glass surfaces of stubborn debris baked on.
5) Touch up/ Brush touch up any paint chips/dents/scratches that exposes bare metal. It may not look like it was before it got damaged but it will prevent the panel from rusting and/or peeling. Touch up paints are available through your local car dealerships and auto parts stores.
6) Condition any black rubber trimming outside of your car with a small towel and rubber conditioner
7) Vacuum your interior carpet and floor mats weekly. Keeping your carpet fibers free from sand and dirt debris will keep the carpet looking good for a long time. You also want to make sure that you clean any stains quickly and a carpet cleaner is one of the best products to use.
8) For leather interior it is best that you clean and condition them at least once a week to prevent them from cracking and looking old. It may not seem like a big difference each time you apply it, in the long run, you will see the difference. Use upholstery cleaner for cloth seats and apply stain guards for added stain protection.